Saturday, May 2, 2009

Dominica - The Champagne Reef

The area of the Champagne Reef where all the little bubbles come up from cracks in the sea floor.

Once we were swimming in the water near the exposed reef, we could see all kinds of fish, the closer we got to the reef and rocks, we could also see bubbles, like Champagne, little tiny bubbles coming out of the sea floor. It was really nice, I would swim through the bubbles and look at all the fish, red ones, blue ones, black and yellow ones. John also saw an octopus as well. As I was swimming around, schools of fish also passed by. So there we were swimming around in the Caribbean Sea near the shore, with bubbles coming up from cracks in the sea floor and it was pretty amazing. I was actually happy to have this extra day in Dominica to experience the Champagne Reef.

View of a small boat in the Champagne Reef area below.

There really is no sand to speak of in the Champagne reef area, this is me below trying not to be uncordinated with my fins and still get in the water. In the end, we found a little area with a little sand, and I was able to take off my fins and snorkel barefoot which made it easier for me and probably better for the coral.


We also saw huge brain coral and beautiful delicate lace fan coral. It was a wonderful day.

Posted by Picasa